Wednesday, January 30, 2008

January 30, 2008

Hi all,

We had a great time at NASA Kennedy Space Center. There was a simulated ride to get the feel of the G Forces and what it feels to be in space. Ken took this challenge – TWICE and thoroughly enjoyed it!

We drove to Ocala and visited with my best friend since 1968 (is that right Linda?) – anyway, it has been a long time we have been friends. We had a great time reminiscing about our black wigs, our shopping trips, her little girl (who is now 40!) riding in her VW bug with our shopping goodies surrounding her…had dinner with Linda, Tom, Ken and I at a great Italian Restaurant with humongous portions and then went to visit their home on Lake Weir. It was sad to say good-bye, but we will be getting together when we both get back from our winter hiatus.

We have arrived in Moss Point, MS to begin our mission work. We are excited about seeing all the people we have made as friends.

We had gone out to dinner with the pastor and his family and were traveling on I-10 just about 10 miles from the church and encountered an accident in process. A tractor trailer had skidded in front of us to avoid hitting the one that had partially gone over a bank and it was like slow motion. It looked like the tractor trailer was gong to hit us - all we saw was black tire smoke, heard skidding of tires and we slipped by him. We pulled over to see if we could help the man who had gone partially over the bank. He was quite shaken up as we were. While waiting for the ambulance and police, (they had gotten hung up behind us at a couple more accidents that had happened because of this one). The others were traveling too fast for conditions (it was rainy and slippery) and caused a few more hospital visits. We stayed with the man in the first accident in the rain until the ambulance came (about 45 minutes). He needed to get checked over because his chest had hit the steering wheel and his leg was bleeding. He couldn't get out of the cab until the police came, so I was talking with him so he wasn't alone. He told me he was just a new Christian and he felt that God was with him and it was by his guidance he didn't cause any more damage and that he was alive. He asked me to pray with him. I think I was put there for that reason.

We have started our work here in Moss Point. Ken is building shelves, I am 'assisting' him and when he doesn't need me, I'm updating the Katrina volunteer database. There is a group of about 10 people from NC this week. Next week a couple from New Hampshire will be here until the end of Feb.
Our RV has been behaving itself! Ken had the fuel pump replaced and hopefully that was the source of the problem that caused the breakdowns last year.

This morning we got bad news that our Aunt Winnie had passed, we will be flying to PA for the funeral.
Will update next week.

julie & ken


Blogger Sallilou said...

Sorry to hear about your Aunt, but great to hear from you! Sounds like you are well and having some exciting times! Sally

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home